Thursday, January 29, 2015

Yes, it rains that much in the Pacific Northwest

One of the biggest questions I get from clients is "Does it really rain that much in (Portland, Seattle, Lincoln City, Olympia, etc.) ?"

In my barely out of teen age years, a girl friend and I were visiting Disney World, specifically Epcot and the Around the World Showcase. Suddenly a rainstorm came in. Huge drops the size of quarters. Everyone started running for shelter. Restaurants and doorways were crowded with those trying to stay dry. Disney Cast Members started handing out cheap plastic ponchos to everyone who wanted one.

My girl friend, a true bred "Valley Girl," with, like, an accent, like and all that, from the heart of Los Angeles took one, but was amazed that I refused. Why should I take one? It was only water. And it was warm! That was more novel to me then the rain itself and I wated to revel in it! A Cast Member tried to foist one off on me anyways.

"Oregon," was my only word to him. He simply nodded his understanding before shuffling off to another hapless tourist.

"Does it really rain that much in Oregon?" my girl friend asked.

Yes it does. Even our first explorers complained about the amount of rain.  In early tourism books it was expounded upon and alluded to as the reason for bountiful crops. There are jokes about the rain here. You're a true Native when you say 'The Mountain is out," (meaning it's visible through the clouds.) Other jokes include punchlines about moss growing on roads (true) and webbed feet. (not true. Mostly)

The Rain


The rain in the Pacific Northwest is hard to explain to those who have not experienced it. Southern climates tend to get warm rains with big fat heavy drops that disappear after a few minutes. Other parts of the country get medium sized drops that might last for hours or days before the weather clears up a bit and the sun comes out to dry everything up. But the Pacific Northwest gets a fine cold mist with occassional bigger drops. There are times when it feels like the rain is coming in sideways. But it doesn't rain contiounsly for days at a time. Usually.

The real killer for many moving here is the perpetually grey skies that may occassionally allow a dim peek of the sun. If we're lucky, (and this winter has started out that way,) we'll get a few days of actual sunlight! The grey feels close to the ground and seems to always envelope you. Yards, sidewalks and streets can stay wet for hours or days after a rain storm. Mushrooms, slugs, moss, algae and slick and wet surfaces, and dogs shaking water out of their fur are all common hazards.

Seasonal Affective Disorder/Winter Depression definitely affects people here. In my unscientific experience people who move to the PNW are affected by it for at least the first two or three years. Some get over it. Others invest in SAD Therapy Lamps. And the sad truth is that a lot end up leaving, forever cursing the Pacific Northwest and happy that they were able to "get away from the rain."

The number of people I've heard trying to move here who say "Oh, I love the rain!" is the same number of people I hear a few months later saying "Oh, I HATE the rain!" once they've truely experienced it.

Rain Gear


The follow up to this question is usually "Do I need raingear?" The answer is "Not really." Umbrellas, while useful, are a pain to carry and frequently get lost. I've been through at least two dozen. If you really need one, you can usually find them on the bus or in tourist heavy areas sitting on park benches. Or just go to your local stores' lost and found.

Most people wear a cloth hat of some sort, or just a lite jacket or sweat shirt with a hood. There is no need to purchase heavy duty rain gear unless you're going to be actively working out doors on a regular basis. Rain boots? Hah, I have a pair somewhere but I haven't seen them in years. I just wear a pair of plain old sneakers and avoid the deeper puddles.

So yes. It really does rain that much in the Pacific Northwest. But if you know what you're in for, it's easier to be prepared for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment